Democrats For Life of America Opposes Xavier Becerra for HHS Secretary
FAIRFAX VA, December 10, 2020 - Democrats For Life of America (DFLA) strongly opposes the nomination of California Attorney General Xavier Becerra for HHS Secretary because of his divisive and extreme position on abortion.
“We need someone to lead HHS who values life at all stages,” said Kristen Day, Executive Director, Democrats For Life of America. “The nomination of an unqualified state AG serves the purpose of appeasing the abortion cultural warriors in the Democratic Party. However, It runs counter to the Biden Administration’s stated goal of healing divisions in the United States.”
The Attorney General is best known for his radical pro-abortion agenda including:
- Initiating anti-free speech regulations requiring Pregnancy Resource Centers to post signs advising women of abortion services. This policy was overturned by the Supreme Court in 2018.
- Filing bogus felony charges against undercover the pro-life journalists who exposed Planned Parenthood’s practice of selling the body parts of aborted babies to biotech firms. The charges were widely viewed as politically motivated and designed to punish those who revealed an ugly truth of Planned Parenthood’s activity.
- Allowing the University of California at San Francisco to engage in research on aborted fetal tissue and opposing bans on such activity nationally. This practice encourages late-term abortions.
- Led a nationwide effort demanding the immediate expansion of federally funded unethical fetal tissue researchLed a nationwide effort demanding the immediate expansion of federally funded unethical fetal tissue research
- Failed to uphold the California Born Alive Act as it relates to fetal tissue harvesting practices-especially at the publicly funded late-term abortion training capital of the US, the University of California, San Francisco.
“Attorney General Becerra brings few, if any, medical or public health credentials to a cabinet-level health position during the greatest medical crisis in over 100 years,” said Day. “Further, Becerra will ratchet up the level of America’s painful cultural divide on fetal life.”
Almost a third of Democrats consider themselves to be pro-life, while the majority of Americans support regulations on abortion. Becerra’s nomination moves the Biden administration into a radical position far removed from both self-identified Democrats and the US population as a whole.
“We urge the withdrawal of the Xavier Becerra nomination. We demand a Secretary of Health and Human Services who can help lead our nation as a whole through its current health crisis, not one with an extremist abortion agenda.”